Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day -10

Today Logan got his central line put in, it is also known as the Hickman catheter. He has a central line to receive Chemotherapy and other medications. Also, to give blood products, to give nutritional fluids, to draw blood and to infuse stem cells or cord blood. The catheter itself is a soft, flexible tube that is inserted into a large vein in the chest that leads to the heart.
Logan also started a medicine called Dilantin today. It's anti-seizure medication. The first round of chemo he is starting tomorrow can cause seizures, but the Dilantin will prevent this. Logan is doing ok right now. He threw up a little bit, but I think that's because of the pain meds. They gave him Zofran so that should help. He is almost asleep, it's been a long day and he is very tired. He is doing so well with the central line. I don't think he has even noticed it's there because he has a shirt on. I am so proud of him, he has been such a brave boy. He is not liking the idea of taking meds orally, but I think in time he will get used to it. I tasted the ones he has taken so far and they don't taste bad at all, so I think he may just be a little scared. Hell, I'm a little scared....
If you are wondering why today is Day -10, its because Day 0 is transplant day. I'm staying at the hospital tonight. Billy and I are going to switch off every other night. Only one parent is aloud to be here at night. Well, that's it for tonight. I am going to attempt to get a little rest, but we will see how that works out :)


Logan's Central Line

Logan's Room

Logan playing before bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment