Monday, July 19, 2010

Good times!

I know, I've been awful. I haven't updated my blog in two days. I think I may start writing every other day, there just isn't a whole lot going on right now, at least not enough to write about everyday. But I do have some news...not great news, but news.
So last time I mentioned that we were on contact isolation. Well now we are on droplet isolation, and Logan is not even allowed out of his room, which means his virus can be caught air born. :( It really sucks because he is feeling pretty darn good besides his cough. One of the kids tested positive for the Para flu and it's spreading like wild fire on the floor. Logan's rapid test came back negative, but his culture has not come back yet. It will be later today when we find out. I was very worried when I heard about this, because a child catching the flu with no immune system is not good, but the doctor said he is not overly concerned because when Logan started showing symptoms he still had an immune system. This means his body was able to build anti-bodies to fight it. Right now the doctor said he sounds great and is showing no signs of getting worse. His breathing is great, he just has a cough. I did ask the doctors to start a breathing treatment for him because the cough is getting a little tight. The breathing treatments always work great at home to loosen everything up. I caught whatever Logan has. For me the Para flu just presents as a common cold. The doctor told me since Logan is already sick I can stay up here as long as I wear a mask.
Logan is doing just great! He is so happy these past couple of days. Lots of smiles and laughing. He is pretty much his self again. Yesterday he sang Lady GaGa and Flo Rida for all the nurses. I'm glad all the nurses can see Logan's real personality, that he isn't a grump all the time. The steroids he's taking do make him have major mood swings. Oh my gosh, I am talking he turns into an evil child. He gets pretty violent and his voice sounds like a little demon. The nurse thinks that the mucositis has arrived. He was a little uncomfortable this morning so the nurse gave him phentanyl and he is fine now. They are going to start him on the PCA later today. I like the phentanyl because it takes his pain away, but doesn't make him loopy or sleepy.
I don't think I explained what mucositis is. It's when you get sores throughout your entire GI tract. It is an adverse effect of the chemotherapy. Since the chemo attacks all rapidly dividing cells in the body, it attacks the mucosal lining of the GI tract. Once the cells in the lining had died, they slough off and an unprotected layer of cells is left. This unprotected layer ulcerates and becomes very sore.
That's about it for now. I will let everyone know when those results come back, but I'm pretty sure he has it. He'll be fine though.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for the update. I"m glad to know that he's doing well. Hang in there everyone.

    Hugs!

    -Todd Waddell
    Portland, Or

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting on your blog...was getting a little concerned. Glad to hear he's doing okay. I know you have a lot on your plate right now. Take care, love you lots!!! Granny and Great

    ReplyDelete